Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Great Escape

I was having one of those days yesterday where everything was just overwhelming and I was too agitated and anxious to get anything productive done. Job searching, writing a research paper, editing—take your pick, yesterday it was too hard.

After refreshing my Facebook feed more times than I care to admit, and staring at a blank document for too long, I decided to find something to distract myself. I was about halfway through reading Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff and quite enjoying it, but I hadn't picked it up for a while.

Sure enough, within a few pages, I was feeling much calmer. Less restless. Lost in the pages while watching a certain Astro-Princess be awesome while an AI dropped a heavy as hell plot twist.

It's a really interesting book and it really pushes the medium. The story is mostly composed of transcripts, chat logs, and reports, with a few other bits and pieces thrown in which I won't specify in case of spoilers. Up until that hella plot twist, it was just the right amount of funny to balance out the serious shit. Now it's gotten funny in a much darker way and TBH I'm still recovering.

I am glad that books are a thing and it's possible to just escape the world by reading when it all gets too much.

What is your favourite book to escape with? 

- Bonnee.

4 comments:

  1. The problem for me with picking favorites is that favorites are fluid, and can also be somewhat dependent on mood, etc., so it's kind of hard to pick. I'm glad that reading helped calm you down. The other night, I was feeling under the weather. Sat down to write, because I need to make good progress on the WiP. Lasted 15 minutes. No brain. But I was able to read, and that's a big help. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't tend to re-read, so I don't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff and Andrew--perhaps I've asked the wrong question. Rather, what book have you enjoyed escaping with in the past?

    Thank you both for visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am very glad that books are a thing!

    When the writing is going well my favourite book to escape to is whichever is my current WIP!

    ReplyDelete

Have your say.